Sachio Jack Takata oral history interview, part 2 of 3, June 17, 2006


Dublin Core


In 1940, Sachio Takata graduated high school and went to the Delta Islands to work in the celery field. Sachio wanted to save money to further his education and attend medical school.

After the signing of Executive Order 9066, Sachio and his family went to Turlock and the Gila River. Sachio worked briefly on the farm and made camouflage before leaving Gila River to work on a farm in Nevada.

Later, Sachio left Nevada and went to Blackfoot, Idaho, to sort potatoes for the winter. Then, he moved to Chicago to work at a machine shop. In Chicago, Sachio's status changed from 4C to 1A, and eligible for the draft. He returned to camp and was inducted into the Army.

Sachio reported to Fort Douglas and went to Camp Blanding for basic training. After completing training, Sachio was discharged at Fort Sheridan. Sachio went to Gila River temporarily and then to Chicago to work in a machine shop.

When the camp was closing, Sachio returned to Gila to help his family relocate. The family moved to Rocky Ford, Colorado, to farm tomatoes.
Sachio recalls learning the war ended and discussed his thoughts on the atomic bomb.

Sachio received a notice from the California Draft Board for not serving six months during the war. He was inducted into the Army for the second time and sent to Fort Riley. Then he went to Fort Benning, Georgia. Sachio went to Counter Intelligence Corps (CIC) training and was assigned to the Headquarters of Pacific Command in Honolulu. Later, Sachio was assigned to Enewetak for six to eight months for security duty.



Oral History Item Type Metadata

Date of Birth

1923 Mar 14

Location of Birth

Branch of Service

Entrance into Service

Location of Basic Training


Takata, Sachio Jack: narrator, Hawkins, Richard: interviewer, and Go For Broke National Education Center: publisher, “Sachio Jack Takata oral history interview, part 2 of 3, June 17, 2006,” Japanese American Military History Collective, accessed May 22, 2024,